Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Book Recommendation

I am very excited about a book I have found.  The name of the book is The Allergen Free Baker's Handbook and can be found on Amazon.  She also has a blog for which you can find a link in our sidebar.  I have made 4 of the recipes from this book and all have been successful.  She warns not to change recipes but I have substituted the non-dairy items for dairy and the sweeteners for sweeteners I use and all have been successful.  One thing I really like about this book is that she basically uses two flour combinations.  One for quick breads and one for yeast breads.  I have mixed both in bags and keep them in the refrigerator and then can just pull out one bag and bake an item.  I have made two of the scone recipes, the pizza crust and another bread.  One of the scone recipes is on my recipe blog The Way to His Heart
Having said all of this I am having to be careful as I am also trying to watch my carb intake.  One of the dilemas of eating gluten free that I have found is what do I just do without and what do I try and find a substitute for.  There is a substitute for almost everything but whether it is good for you or not is another question.  It is nice to have the options and be able to make pizza when I crave it and a nice scone and cup of tea occasionally!
If you are new to eating gluten free, remember that the tastes will be different but your palate will adjust over time and you will forget what the other tastes like :-)

1 comment:

  1. My only comment about the scones was that I think they would benefit by a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil. They were a tad dry and needed just a boost of moisture. There are no eggs in the recipe which would have provided some moisture.

    ReplyDelete